The Salters' Halls
The First Hall 1454
The Company's first
hall was built in Bread Street in 1454 and was rebuilt after
destruction by fire in 1539 and again in 1598. In 1641 the Company
purchased a house at London Stone in the Parish of St. Swithin,
a fourth hall which was destroyed in the early hours of the
Great Fire in 1666 but rebuilt in 1668. This hall stood until
1824 when the foundation stone of the fifth hall was laid on
the same site; this building was completed in 1827 and was destroyed
by fire during the 10th and 11th of May 1941.
The Salters' Hall
In 1976 a new hall was opened, built to a design of Sir Basil Spence, which has provided the Salters' Company with magnificent modern premises comprising an ash panelled Banqueting Hall, Committee and Court Rooms and office accommodation. The Hall in Fore Street commands a fine view over London Wall and St. Paul's Cathedral, and is one of the only Livery Halls in the City to have been built in a truly contemporary style. It is well suited to banqueting and conferencing purposes - details are available in the Banqueting & Conferencing Facilities section.