The Salters' Company is ranked ninth of the Twelve Great Livery Companies of the City of London. Its origins lie in the Salt Trade of mediaeval London, its first licence having been granted in 1394 by King Richard II. Then as now, salt was a vital ingredient in the preservation of food, as it was the only means of preserving meat over long winter months. Members of the Company formerly dealt not only in salt but were also 'Dry Salters', dealing in flax, hemp, logwood, cochineal, potashes and chemical preparations.
Today the activities of the Salters' Company are centred on charity and education. The flagship charity of the Salters' Company is The Salters' Institute of Industrial Chemistry, which was established in 1918 to assist young chemists to complete their training after the First World War. The Salters' Institute now aims to promote the appreciation of chemistry and related sciences among the young, and to encourage careers in the teaching of chemistry and in the UK chemical and allied industries. The Company also administers a number of other charities including Almshouses at Watford and Maidenhead and the Salters' City Foyer Project in Soho, and makes annual donations to over 80 national charities.
The Salters' Hall
The Salters' Company is based at Salters' Hall, Fore Street in the heart of the City of London. As well as hosting Company events, the suite of rooms at Salters' Hall can be hired by the public for banqueting, conferencing or special occasions.